The Hansen and Onion funeral home was established in 1927 when a business partnership was formed by the late A.G. Curtis Hansen and the late Eugene M. Onion. Their first business location was on Liberty St. in Marinette where they remained until moving the funeral home to the former Francis A. Brown residence on Marinette Avenue in 1934. Committed to providing the community with a high degree of professional service, Hansen and Onion quickly became a leading provider of funeral service in the area.
AAs a young funeral director, Phillip W. Martell joined the firm in 1950. He assumed ownership of the business in 1964, prior to the deaths of Mr. Hansen and Mr. Onion, both of which occurred in the 1960’s. In 1975, James Martell joined his father as a licensed funeral director and has since become principal owner of the business. The Martells purchased the former Zeitler funeral home, located on Main Street in Marinette, in 1981-- operating that business as a separate facility. Over the years, the Hansen and Onion building remained largely unchanged until a large and carefully designed addition was completed in 1994. It was at this time that the Zeitler location was closed and all funeral home operations were consolidated at the Marinette Avenue facility. that business as a separate facility.
In order to continue to offer the Marinette-Menominee area the most comprehensive level of professional service, a crematory was installed in our building in 1999. Since that time we have been the leading provider of cremation service to the people of our area. Looking to the future, we are committed to upholding our reputation for offering the public the highest quality service at the fairest price possible. We invite your inquiry and comparison.